Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Starting Daycare In Toronto  (Read 8539 times)

Offline momof3

• Infant
Starting Daycare In Toronto
« on: September 27, 2010, 01:56:53 PM »
Hi!

I want to start a home daycare in a house that I own (Bungalow) instead of having it as a rental property.
I have been researching this for awhile now but am so confused.  I would prefer to start it as a Liscenced daycare HOWEVER after looking into the Day and Nursury Act I am not completely discourage.  So now I am thinking that I might start it as an unliscened daycare. I want to try and get a total of 10 kids however after reading one of these discussion about the fines I am freaking out.  I have some questions and if there is someone that can give me some advise I would greatly appreciate it.

a) If I am unliscened and I have 10 kids with 2 adults in total working there would that be ok in a home daycare setting or is 5 kids the max for a home daycare? (this is not my residence)

b) If I give receipts then I will have to claim this as income is that correct? AND if it is unliscened am I am able to claim stuff on my Tax return.

c) Am I able to open up a daycare in a residencial area? I wanted to paint the windows like characters for the kids but am worried that someone willl complain and if they do will I be fined for running an unliscened daycare?

d) Rate in the area run from 29-40 dollars a day... are rates typically higher if a provider is giving a receipt?

any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks  :)

c)

Offline p2008

• Infant
    • Parent Relief - Bringing Parents and Providers Together
Re: Starting Daycare In Toronto
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 03:34:03 PM »
Hi momof3,

(a) For unlicensed daycare centers, the maximum number of children you can care of is 5 children regardless if you have two adults in the premise.

(b) If you search the Canada Revenue Agency website, there is some specific tax information for operators running home daycare centers. You can refer to it here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/p134/p134-e.html

To specifically answer your question, however, yes you will need to claim it as a self-employed income if you give out receipts to the parents. Furthermore, you can claim your expenses to offset your revenue from the home daycare, regardless if you are licensed or unlicensed.

(c) Home daycare centers are allowed in residential area but there are by-laws you will need to follow to maintain the consistent look of the neighborhood. This includes signage and I suspect painting characters on your window will also be an issue. You will be fine for violating the by-laws of the town or city regardless if you are licensed or unlicensed. In other words, being unlicensed has no relation to breaking the by-laws of the community. If you are running more than 5 children in an unlicensed home daycare, that's a separate issue altogether and you will be fine for violating the Day Nurseries Act.

(d) Not too sure about this but rates are typically market driven.

Hope that helps.

P.S. If you are interested, Parent Relief has a free How to Start a Daycare Tutorial that might help you on your journey in starting a daycare. You can check it out by clicking this link: http://www.parentrelief.com/resources
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 03:39:13 PM by p2008 »

Offline momof3

• Infant
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 03:22:20 PM »
Thanks so much p2008....much appreciated.. will look into the links that you provided  :)

Offline nsm27god

• Infant
  • I LOVE CHILD
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 11:30:58 AM »

Offline plexcdc

• Infant
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 01:54:29 AM »
Thank you por your posting,It is really informative post.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources